Do you struggle with how or what to pray? You are not alone, even the disciples struggled. Jesus prayed to His Father in heaven all the time and explained how to pray to the Father in Matthew chapter 6. This prayer model, I think, came from a conference called “Praying for One Hour With Jesus” by Larry Lea. I have modified it to help me in my prayer time and I hope you find it helpful. Prayer is essential for staying close to God and not drifting away into dangerous waters where all kinds of evil lurk to destroy you. If you would like the PDF of this prayer format, then send me a request through my contact page. In my next post, I will address some of the reasons why our prayers do not get answered.
“Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name.”
Begin your prayer time with worship and praise (Ps. 100:1-5) and remember that He is your Father through the blood of Jesus and believing in His name. (Gal. 4:4-6; Rom. 8:14-17). Hallow (regard as holy) the names of God…
- Yahweh Tsidkenu – The Lord who is our Righteousness (Jer. 23:6)
- Yahweh M’Kaddesh – The Lord who is our Sanctifier (Ex. 31:13)
- Yahweh Shalom – The Lord who is our Peace (Judges 6:24)
- Yahweh Shammah – The Lord who is present with us (Ez. 48:35)
- Yahweh Jireh – The Lord who is our Provider (Gen. 22:13,14)
- Yahweh Nissi – The Lord who is our Banner or Victory (Ex. 17:8-15)
- Yahweh Rohi – The Lord who is our Shepherd (Psa. 23:1)
- Yahweh Rophe – The Lord who is our Healer (Ex. 15:26)
“Your kingdom come; your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”
Now set your priorities for the day, determining that God’s perfect will be accomplished in the following areas. (1 John 5:14-15)
MON. Your nation (political and judicial leaders) (1 Tim. 2:1-2)
TUES. Your family (mate, children, other family members)
WED. Your Church (Pastor Eph. 6:20, Col. 4:4; leadership, fellow saints)
FRI. Your personal requests (Rom. 12:1-2)
SAT. Your Neighbors and Friends
“Give us today our daily bread.”
Present your needs to God. (Notice that Jesus took for granted that we would pray daily!) Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God (Phil. 4:6). Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving (Col. 4:2). Matthew 6:34 says “Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.”
“Forgive us our sins as we also have forgiven those who sin against us.”
Make sure nothing is impairing your relationship with the Father. Sin blocks your prayers. (Ps. 66:18; Is 59:1, 2) Pray something like the following:
- I ask that you search my heart and mind and show me any unloving thoughts, attitudes, or actions. (Jer. 17:10; Rev. 2:23; Ps 139:23-24)
- Forgive me for ___ and cleanse me from all sin. (Ps. 103:2-3; Matt. 18:23-35; 1 John 1:9)
- I forgive ___, who was unloving and offended me. (Matt. 6:14-15)
- Help me to be thankful and bless those who may offend or insult me today.
“And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.”
Seek to be “led by the Spirit” throughout the day.
- I expect that You will lead me and ___ by the Spirit and Your Word. (Rom. 8:14)
- I pray that forces beyond my control won’t lead me and ___ into trials and temptations (2 Peter 2:9)
- Thank you for delivering me and ___ from evil. (Luke 22:31-32)
- I put on the armor of God so that I can stand against the wiles of the evil one. (Eph. 6:11-18)
“For Yours is the kingdom and the power, and the glory forever.”
Affirm the absolute Lordship of Christ in all things.
- Confess the victory you have as a member of God’s kingdom. (Luke 12:32)
- Declare by faith that the power of God will be manifested that day. (Ps. 21:13)
- Proclaim God’s glory to cover the earth. (Ps. 72:19)
- Affirm the absolute Lordship of Christ in all things
Another prayer model I use almost every day is Who God is — Daily A-C-T-S Prayers
All verses are from the English Standard Bible. If you find my posts and website helpful, please share the links with your friends and family, hopeforcompletehealing.com. The information is copyright protected, and no part of the posts or my book may be reproduced without proper citation to Joyce Hanscom.
Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org, and ask for a PDF of Eight Prayers from the Bible. The prayers are for the Spirit of wisdom, renewal, spiritual strength, knowledge of His will, virtues of God, non-believers, 23rd Psalm, and victory. Please leave your name, so I know you are a real person making the request.
P.S.: Experiencing a lasting change in your life depends on having a right relationship with God the Father through believing in His Son Jesus Christ and obeying His command to love (1 John 3).