Mark Verkler explains in his CD called “Seven Prayers That Heal the Heart” how a healed heart is full of faith, hope, and love. In 1 Timothy 1:5, it says, “But the goal of our instruction is love from a pure heart and a good conscience [produces hope] and a sincere faith” (NAS). Also, read 1 Peter 1:22. I Corinthians 13:13 says, “And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love” (NAS). Pastor Verkler believes if we have any fear, worry, or anxiety; we do not have faith. If we have feelings of dread, mistrust, or despair; we do not have hope. And if we have feelings of ill will, contempt, or hate; we do not have love.
He believes that to heal the heart; we must use the language of the heart, not the language of the mind because the language of the mind is analytical reason (Matt. 16:7 KJV). The language of the heart is flow (Jn. 7:37-39 KJV), imagination (Gen. 8:21 KJV), dreams and visions (Acts 2:17), emotions (Gen. 6:6 KJV), and pondering (Ps. 77:61 KJV). So, as we pray, we are to stay tuned to flowing thoughts, flowing pictures/visions, and emotions. If we neglect this, our prayers will come from our head, and will not heal our hearts! We must rely upon the Holy Spirit (i.e. Holy Spirit “flow”) to guide us through the healing process. More importantly, we need to confess our sins (1 John 1:9) when we disobey God’s Word. And forgive those whose sin affected us (see Matt. 6:14-15, Eph. 4:32, Col. 3:13).
The most effective prayer method to remove the issues that blocks your healing is the loosing and binding principle. I learned this principle from Liberty Savard in her book, Shattering Your Strongholds. She explained how to verbally loose/pull down and destroy strongholds through the divine power of the Holy Spirit.
In 2 Corinthians 10:3-5 it says, “For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh, for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses (strongholds). We are destroying speculations (arguments; imaginations) and every lofty thing [judgments] raised up against the knowledge [truth] of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ.” (NAS) We take wrong thoughts captive using Matthew 16:19b and 18:18 principles of “…whatever you bind (Greek meaning: knit, tie, fasten) on earth will be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose (Greek meaning: release, destroy, put off) on earth will be loosed in heaven.” (NAS) And, all prayers are to include “In Jesus’ name” because John 14:14 says, “If you ask anything in my name, I will do it.” Also, see John 15:7. But what we ask needs to be God’s will and align with His truth as we obey Him (1 John 5:14,15; 1 John 3:22-24; and John 15:7). We know it is God’s will to heal our hearts and sanctify (set apart as holy) our lives with truth (John 17:17).
Unhealthy thinking, false beliefs, and vows are the speculations, arguments, imaginations, and judgments found in 2 Corinthians 10:4. To take them captive, you first must recognize you have them. Then verbally loose and put off the specific wrong thoughts and false beliefs, and then bind in the truth to replace them. When I continued to struggle with the same wrong thinking and false beliefs, I realized, I had to loose the negative stress-energy from the painful memories. Otherwise, they recreate the unhealthy beliefs and strongholds again. Next, I transformed the painful memory by replacing it with a positive image of thankfulness. You can also think of Jesus comforting you in the memory or another happy thought.
Below is a biblical example of loosing and binding you can turn into a personal prayer by making the pronouns personal.
Colossians 3:8-16 – “But now you (I) also, put them all aside (loose): anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your (my) mouth. 9) Do not lie to one another, since you (I) laid aside the old self with its evil practices, 10) and have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him- 12) So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, (I) put on (bind on) a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience; 13) bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you (me), so also should you (I). 14) Beyond all these things (I) put on (bind on) LOVE, which is the perfect bond of unity. 15) Let the peace of Christ rule in your (my) hearts, to which indeed you were (I was) called in one body; and be thankful. 16) Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you (me), with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God.” (NAS) Also see Eph. 4:22-32
Unforgiveness and unhealthy, false beliefs are blocks to healing that must be addressed and overcome for complete healing to take place. If they remain, they will block or inhibit God’s ability to heal the rest of the issues in your life. Your wrong thinking and false beliefs create these blocks. The next section explains the most effective prayer principle I have learned.
Unforgiveness rarely hurts the person we refuse to forgive, but it always hurts us, which is why it blocks healing. Forgiveness is essential for healing because it releases us from the power of wrongful actions or offenses. Forgiving someone does not excuse their wrong actions but sets us free to heal and move on. In Shattering Your Strongholds, Liberty Savard advised not to replay your inner tapes of anger and guilt over bad memories, failures, humiliations, and the sins of others against you. Forgive those involved, including yourself if necessary, and set loose the power those memories have on you. She said, “Your past only functions as a part of your life you have learned from and overcame. It is your reference point to show the magnitude of what God has done for you so you can show others what He will do for them” (Savard, p. 82).
If you find it hard to forgive then verbally say, “In Jesus’ name, I loose the spirit of unforgiveness from my heart, and I bind into my heart Your power and grace to forgive. And, I bind to my mind the following truths…”
TRUTH FOCUS STATEMENTS
I believe in Jesus and receive His forgiveness, and I believe He will help me forgive others who have sinned against me. Acts 10:43
I can forgive for my own sake, and I receive God’s love and put my trust in Jesus who forgave me and gives me eternal life. John 3:16
I can forgive others who sinned against me, and I accept forgiveness from God for my sins. Matt. 6:14-15
Forgiving heals me so I can be kind and tenderhearted. Eph. 4:31-32
Forgiveness sets me free from offenses and opens my heart to love. Col. 3:12-14
I surrender my desire to punish, fill my heart with Your love so I can bless those who hurt me. Rom. 12:14
OVERCOMING UNHEALTHY BELIEFS
A false or unhealthy belief is a lie about the true nature of reality, and we need to shine truth into our hearts to correct these lies. For example, if you believe that you are not worthy of love, you believe a lie. Drs. Loyd and Johnson believe we learn our wrong beliefs in three ways:
1) We learn them from negative experiences that we then draw faulty conclusions and generalizations.
2) We learn them from our parents, teachers, and peers who pass their wrong beliefs on to us by word and example.
3) We inherit them in our DNA, which I will give examples in the “Breaking Free from Strongholds” section.
The following are nine categories of unhealthy, destructive beliefs that will distort the way you view your life. The primary unhealthy beliefs are:
- I am unlovable. I am insignificant. I am flawed.
- I am hopeless. I am worthless. Life is hopeless.
- Something bad will happen. The future will be like the past. I’m not OK.
- Something must change right now for me to be OK.
- People will take advantage of me. People are too sensitive.
- I am bad. I am not good enough. I am unforgivable.
- People are out to get me. I must be in control. It’s not fair.
- People must think well of me for me to be OK.
- I can’t do it. I am not capable. Others should do it for me. It’s not fair.
The Healing Codes Manual, p. 55
These beliefs cause us to live in self-destructive ways, and they create stress in our bodies that lead to illness and disease. If you don’t know what your unhealthy beliefs are, then pay attention to what you say to people and how you react to stress. Also, review Verkler’s third prayer area in the next section. Bind in the following truths to your heart and mind or other biblical truths that may apply.
TRUTH FOCUS STATEMENTS
I am worthy to be loved because I have been made complete in Christ and I am a new creation. Col. 2:10; 2 Cor. 5:7
I am valuable because I am made in the image of God; this makes me significant. Gen. 1:27
My future is full of hope because God has begun a good work in me, and He will complete it (Phil. 1:6). I am His workmanship created for good works… Eph. 2:10; Phil. 2:12b,13
I am okay because, by God’s mercy, I am being regenerated in my thinking and renewed in my spirit by the Holy Spirit… Titus 3:5b
I am transformed as I set loose and put off my unhealthy beliefs, and renew my mind with God’s truths. And I put on a new self, which is the image of Christ (holy and righteous.) Eph. 4:22-24; Col. 3:10; Rom. 12:2; 1 Thes. 2:13
I can submit to God and give him control of my life, and I take every thought captive and choose to believe all the truths in the Bible. James 4:7-8; 2 Cor. 10:5
I can see the truth, and act on the truth of the Bible. John 17:17; I Peter 1:22
I can give thanks in everything and will not be anxious about anything but always praying and giving my concerns to God. Eph. 5:20; Phil. 4:6; 1 Thes. 5:18
I will prosper as I trust in the Lord, and I will not be afraid. Prov. 28:25; Is. 12:2
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13
VERKLER’S SEVEN PRAYER FOCUSES
The following seven prayer focuses by Pastor Mark Verkler address areas that also block healing. These prayer focuses helped me overcome auto programming issues that controlled how I reacted.
Pray any or all these prayer focuses for each negative issue you want to overcome. First, ask God to loose and remove any obstructive spirits that may hinder your hearing from Him. Then, ask God to reveal the answers to the following situations and questions. Do not focus on your rational thoughts but on the still soft voice of the Holy Spirit, and any images or visions He may give you. Pause and patiently wait. Keep a journal of your answers.
- Break generational sins and curses (in the form of DNA markers) that are connected to the heart issue being healed. See Exodus 34:7 (For example, in my family, my mother was an angry woman; her mother and father were angry people; their parents were angry people; I was an angry person.) Generational issues are often passed down through DNA markers or curses, which we inherit, see 1 Peter 1:18-19.
- Sever soul ties: Soul ties occur when you enter into a covenant with another person. Soul ties allow the negative/sin life, energies, and provisions of the two to be shared, which also influences our behaviors. They are formed through immoral and unhealthy relationships with past boy/girlfriends, and family members, etc. see 2 Corinthians 6:14-7:1; 1Corinthians 6:16; these soul ties need to be broken off/loosed from your soul.
- Replace negative beliefs–Fruit/Root Principle: One way you can uncover negative expectations (beliefs) is by tracing backward from the negative fruit in your life. Since they are mostly in our subconscious ask God, “what is the root of this fruit?” He will show you so you can then remove it through prayer and repentance. Reading self-help books will reveal unhealthy beliefs and wrong thinking. They may also come from word curses spoken by yourself or others. Some examples are: “I will probably fail. I will most likely end up in divorce. Nobody likes me. All politicians are evil. A godly person can’t succeed in business.” Have you thought these thoughts?
Ask yourself the following questions:
- “Lord, what negative confessions come out of my mouth?”
- “Lord, what negative expectations are in my heart?”
- “Lord, what things do I believe that does not line up with what the Bible and the Spirit are revealing to me?”
- “Lord, what expectations rob me of love, joy, and peace?”
- “What expectations keep me from giving thanks for all things and in all things (Eph. 5:20 and 1 Thes. 5:18)?”
- “What negative dreams or thoughts have I been having?”
Ask God to set loose and remove the revealed negative, unhealthy beliefs and then bind in positive, healthy beliefs.
- Renounce unhealthy inner vows: These are the promises or statements one makes as a result of the negative expectations being held. For example, the Israelites confessed over and over the unhealthy vow that they were going to die in the wilderness (Num. 14:2, 27, 28). They received what they believed and confessed.
Questions for discovering the need to renounce inner vows:
- “Lord, what do I promise I will do?”
- “Lord, what do I promise I won’t do?”
- “Lord, what do I promise about myself?”
- “Lord, what do I promise about others?”
- Receive divine visions: Traumas leave negative pictures (memories) that produce negative emotions, which then produce negative behaviors. First, forgive those involved in the hurtful memory. Next, pray to loose and remove each hurtful memory, then replace these memories with the vision of Jesus comforting you or shielding you from further hurt. Also, see yourself loved by God your heavenly Father (Rom. 8:35-39 & 1 John 3:1).
- Break word curses: Word curses add negative spiritual energy to our lives that create invisible barriers that keep us from experiencing God’s blessing. Proverbs 18:21 says, ‘Death and life are in the power of the tongue…’ Words have power. Pray the following:
“Lord, what word curses have I, or others spoke over me, which contribute to the problem of _____________?” For example, “You dummy! You’ll never make it in the field of ____! You are such a loser! What a moron! You’re just fat! You are so lazy! You’ll never amount to anything! This is my lazy daughter. This is the computer nerd,” or any negative nicknames.
- Remove attached demon or evil spirit: Ephesians 4:27 tells us not to give the devil an opportunity or foothold. 2 Timothy 2:26 says, “…and they come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will” (NAS). Giving way willfully to practice sins of the flesh gives occasion for the devil to have his way in a believer’s life. 1 Timothy 3:7 says, “And he must have a good reputation with those outside the church so that he will not fall into reproach and the snare of the devil” (NAS). Mark Verkler believed footholds, which allow demons to enter or attach themselves include: willful continuous sin; addictions; traumas; faulty belief systems; involvement in false religions; fears/phobias; immorality; pornography; occult involvement; self-pronounced curses; unforgiveness; and ungodly soul ties (II Corinthians 2:10,11, Ephesians 2:2, and Ephesians 4:25-27) Acts 10:38 says, Jesus was “…healing all who were oppressed by the devil,…” (NAS). Additionally, Kati Souza said on her “Healing Your Soul” CD that we give the demonic powers a right to torment us through the wounds in our soul from sin, trauma, or tragedy. See Psalms 143. And when the wounds are healed, the demons no longer have power over us. I can personally testify that this is true.
About 1/4 – 1/3 of Jesus’s prayers for healing were deliverance prayers, see Mark 9:14-29. The commission for Christians to cast out demons is given in Matthew 10:8; Mark 3:15; 6:7,13; 16:17-18; and Luke 9:1-2.
- “Lord, what compulsive pressures are within me?”
- “Lord, what sins can I not defeat?”
- “Lord, what stumbling blocks occur over and over?”
- “Lord, what obsessive thoughts do I have about myself or others?”
Four ways to have victory over Satan:
- Resist Satan by submitting to God in faith, and he will flee. All victory is in believing and practicing the truths of God (see Matt. 4:1-11; Eph. 6:11-17; James. 4:7; and 1 Peter. 5:8-9).
- Hold fast to your testimony of Christ’s work on the cross for you, and the protection of His blood. Revelation. 12:11 states, “And they overcame him by the blood of the lamb and the word of their testimony.”
- Put on the armor of God because the bible states to “Put on the full/whole armor of God, so that you may be able to stand firm against the schemes/wiles of the devil. Our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against (1) rulers, against the (2) powers, against the (3) world forces of this darkness, against the (4) spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places” (see Ephesians. 6:12-17).
- Exercise your authority in Christ: Colossians 2:9-10 says, “For in Him [Jesus] all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, 10) and in Him, you have been made complete and He is the head over all rule and authority;” (NAS). You have authority if you are in right relationship with God. Have you confessed that you are a sinner and received Jesus’s sacrifice and forgiveness for your sins? Have you asked Him to come into your heart and to be your savior? If yes, then you are made complete and have the Spirit of God in you. Therefore, you too are head over all rule and authority. Also, in Luke 10:19 Jesus says, “Behold, I have given you the authority to tread on serpents and scorpions [demonic spirits], and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing will injure you” (NAS).
Demonic spirit retaliation often comes after the healing of a negative heart issue or soul wound. Retaliation may be unexplained physical pain, very weak and tired, depression, or family discord. So, by the authority of Jesus Christ, I rebuke it and command it to be gone from myself and my family and never return in Jesus’ name. I do this each time I go through a transformation. You can do the same.
As we become victorious over the blocks to our healing and renew our mind with truth, we will be perfecting holiness in the fear of God (2 Cor. 7:1) and purifying ourselves as He is pure (1John 3:3). And as we heal through these prayers, we will see an increase of good fruit in our lives (2 Peter 1:2-10). I am encouraged when I read my prayer journal and see my progress. Though sometimes, I have to repeat a deliverance or transformation process because God shows me another area of the issue to be healed.
“Training Wheels” Prayer (p. 171) by Liberty Savard
Before praying this prayer, cover yourself with God’s protection and light (see Rom. 13:12). I recommend praying this prayer each time you want to heal negative issues. For the blank underlines, insert I, my, me, or myself or another person’s name.
“Lord, I’m standing on the truth of Your Word. You said You would give me the keys to the kingdom, that whatsoever I would bind on earth would be bound in heaven and whatsoever I would loose on earth would be loosed in heaven (Matt. 16:19). In the name of Jesus Christ, I bind __’s body, soul, and spirit to the will and purposes of God for __ life. I bind__ to the blood of Jesus, that __ will never take it for granted and would be constantly aware of its miracle-working power to restore, heal and keep __ safe. I bind __ mind, will and emotions to the will of God and to the truth of God that __ would not be deceived by the many subtle deceptions of the world and the devil. I bind __ mind to the mind of Christ, that the very thoughts feelings and purposes of His heart would be within __ thoughts, and not to react out of __ own human carnal thoughts when situations arise suddenly, but to think and act as Jesus would have __ act. I bind __ feet to the paths of righteousness that __ will forsake what is evil. I bind __ to the work of the cross with all of its mercy, grace, love, forgiveness, and dying to selfish desires and motivations and be more like Him.
I loose every old, wrong, ungodly pattern of thinking, attitude, idea, desire, belief, motivation, habit and behavior from __. Reveal to __ any wrong desires, attitudes, beliefs, ideas, patterns of thinking, and habits, so that __ can repent and loose them specifically and be set free. I tear down, crush, smash, and destroy every stronghold associated with these things that would keep __ from being completely surrendered to the will of God for __ life. I loose any stronghold in __ life that has been justifying and protecting hard feelings against anyone. I loose the power and effects of any harsh or hard words (word curses) spoken to __, or about __, by __. I pray that God would protect and guide __ and set angelic forces at work to break up every scheme of the enemy so __ can be in sweet unity with You. In Jesus’ name.”
Additionally, healing issues in our subconscious and conscious mind permanently is accomplished by often praying through the following nine core prayer focuses.
Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness/Trust, Meekness/Humility, and Self-Control
These nine core prayer focuses are the fruit of the Spirit characteristics from Galatians 5:22-23. Each prayer focus has a list of wrong behaviors, unhealthy beliefs and lies, positive right behaviors, and truth statements. These nine focuses help us transform the lies we believe with the truth and wrong (sinful) behaviors with the right behaviors.
The Apostle Paul wrote to the Romans that they were to transform through the renewing of their minds, which is done by the truths in God’s Word so they can know the will of God (12:2). And in Philippians in 2:12b-13 he said, “…work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, 13) for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.” Yes, our salvation is by grace and not by works, and is the gift of God, yet, much work is to be done to transform wrong thinking and unhealthy beliefs. Once we believe and receive the gift of salvation, we now must get into the Word of God and transform our false beliefs with the truth. But Satan wants us to remain defeated so he uses mental strongholds to keep our offenses and wrong beliefs protected. These strongholds also prevent the fruit of the Spirit from growing in our lives. And, prevents love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness (humility), faithfulness (trust), and self-control from flowing out of us to others. Chapter 3 helps us understand strongholds and the many kinds of strongholds.
If you find my posts and website helpful, then please share the link to my post and website with your friends and family, hopeforcompletehealing.com. The information is copyright protected and no part of the posts or my book may be reproduced without proper citation to Joyce Hanscom.
Contact me at email@example.com, and ask for a PDF of Eight Prayers from the Bible. The prayers are for the Spirit of wisdom, renewal, spiritual strength, knowledge of His will, virtues of God, non-believers, 23rd Psalm, and victory. Please leave your name so I know you are a real person making the request.
P.S.: Experiencing lasting change in your life depends on having a right relationship with God the Father through believing in His Son Jesus Christ and obeying His command to love (1 John 3).