The girls in my county jail Bible study struggle to live successful lives. Most of their problems and troubles result from their wrong thoughts. The progression of thoughts to results are as follows. What we think affects our emotions. Our emotions control our behavior. And, our behavior directs the events of our lives.
For example, destructive thinking is to think of things that offend you, which causes you to be angry, fearful, or sad. When you are fearful, angry, or sad, you will act out these emotions in aggressive or passive-aggressive ways. Passive-aggressive behavior varies, but can be silence, avoidance, harming yourself by cutting, using drugs, turning to alcohol, etc. When you act on your negative emotions, then there will be strife in yourself and with others. Strife destroys relationships in partnerships, jobs, churches, etc., which will often negatively affect your life and the lives of your family. Review my post on the one thing that destroys relationships.
To be healthy emotionally, think positive and thankful thoughts. When you think positive thoughts, then you will act or behave with kindness and grace. Showing gratitude and grace will strengthen your relationships. Showing grace is saying a kind word or forgiving someone when they may not deserve it. See my post on A POWERFUL MOOD CHANGER; Thoughts That Create Peace Within and Without.
The first step to victorious, sucessful living is to be spiritually healed. Spiritual healing begins by confessing we are sinners in need of a savior. Then believing Jesus Christ is God the Son, who died and rose again, forgives our sins, and frees us from sins control (See Jn 1:29; 1 Jn 4:15; 1 Pet 1:18-19; Col 1:14; & Gal 5:1). When we confess this with our mouth and believe it with our heart, then God the Holy Spirit and His love, life, and light enter our hearts (See Gal 4:6 & 1 Cor 6:17). If you have not made this confession, then do it now to experience spiritual healing (See Rom 10:9-13 & Eph 2:1-10). Next, practice the following actions to live a victorious and successful life.
1) Live through Christ Jesus: See 1 John 4:9-12, 17; 2 Cor 13:4; Gal 2:20. Live through Christ by doing the following actions.
- Keep your mind on Him and transform your thinking: See Col 3:1-4; Is 26:3; James 1:21; Rom 12:2; Phil 4:8
- Seek His help when you struggle with temptations and wrong thinking: See Heb 2:17-18; 4:15-16; 1 Cor 10:13
- Abide (stay; dwell) with Him, and His words abide in you: See Jn 15:1-8; 1 John 2:24; Jam 1:21-25; 4:6-8; Matt 7:24-26
- Forgive as He forgave (key to successful relationships): See Matt 6:12-15; 18:21-35; Col 3:13; Mark 11:25
- Be humble as He is: See Phil. 2:3-11; Matthew 11:29; 1 Peter 5:5
- Love as He Loved: See John 15:9-14; 1 Cor. 13:4-7; 16:14
2) Rely on the Holy Spirit as your Helper: See John 14:26 and John 15:26. To renew us See Titus 3:3-7 & 1 Cor 6:11. To put off your old life and put on a new life: See Eph 4:22-24; Col 3:5-15; 2 Cor 5:17
3) Die to sin and be free from it’s control, then do what is right by setting your mind on the things of the Spirit: See 1 Peter 2:24; Rom 6:10-14; 8:4-11; 1 John 1:7; 3:5-8, 14; Col 3:5-17, Eph 4:17-32; 5:8; 1 John 1:9; Hebrews 12:1-2; 1 Pet. 2:11; James 1:21; Gal 5:22-25. Deny your fleshly desires (sin/evil) and avoid the consequences: See James 1:13-15; Gal 5:16-21; 6:7-8; 1 Cor 6:9-10; Rom 8:7-8, 13-14; Mark 7:20-23; Rev 21:8
4) Pray continually: See Phil 4:6-7; Rom 12:12; 1 Thes 5:17 –Turn every wrong, sinful thought into a prayer of repentance and renewal immediately. The longer we think wrong thoughts the further down the wrong path we will go (1 John 1:9; 3:21-24).
5) Submit to God and stand firm against the enemy of your mind and your faith: See James 4:7,8; Gal 5:1; Eph 6:10-17; 1 Peter 5:6-10; Heb 11:1, 6; 12:1-3; 1 John 5:4-5
6) Persevere through trials; trusting God is at work, and put your hope in Him: See John 16:33; 1 Peter 1:6-9; 4:12-14, 19; Matt 6:33-34; 8:28; James 1:2-4, 12; 5:11; Heb 10:36-39; 12:5-7; Rom 5:2-4; 8:18; Lam 3:21-25; Is 30:18; Ps 62:5-8; 147:11; Luke 6:22; 2 Cor 4:17-18; 12:10
7) Do the Will of God, found in the Word of God: See James 1:21-25; 1 Peter 4:2; Matt 3:35; Rom 12:2; 1 Thes 4:3; 5:12-18; 1 Pet 2:15; 1 John 2:17; 5:14-15
There is hope for complete healing only in Jesus Christ and living a victorious life through Him.